A MIG welder can serve as an important addition to your collection of tools whether you are trying to undertake a DIY project or more professional activities. Metal Gas Inert or MIG welder can be used single-handedly by holding the torch as the wire feed is automatic on pulling the trigger.
This makes it redundant to bank on a finger trigger or foot pedal for operating the gas. MIG welders are also helpful in welding thicker materials for opening up greater possibilities in the area of car restoration.
Often people carry the hobby of restoring old cars. However, for undertaking the entire car restoration work, you will require a good welder like the ones listed down below.
1. Stanley MIKROMIG
Your search for the safest welder ends with the Stanley MIKROMIG welding machine which comes with all the safety measures to guarantee a worry-free welding experience.
The Stanley MIKROMIG welding machine is crafted using iron alloy which makes it ideal for being subjected to heavy-duty usage in the shop or garage. At thirty pounds, it might not be the lightest welder around, but it surely isn’t the heaviest one either. You can move it around easily with the accompanying handle.
You can plug in the Stanley MIKROMIG welding machine into a gas generator for engaging in field work even if you don’t have ready access to an electrical outlet. The welding device operates within 30-85 amps and can handle steel with thickness ranging from 5/64” to 13/64”. Such level of versatility helps in catering to a variety of projects.
A turbo fan prevents overheating for lengthening your welding time. Another unique feature is its automatic thermal shutoff which kicks in whenever the device gets too hot. The machine shuts down and you cannot use it unless it has cooled off.
- Crafted in Italy by adhering to stringent quality guidelines.
- Thermal overload shuts down the machine automatically.
- Runs without the requirement of gas.
- Can handle both 0.030” diameter flux core wire and 0.040” diameter flux core wire.
- Comes with a handle which helps in its easy transportation.
- Compact device which offers 2 welding current positions.
- Accompanied with a welding torch.
- Wire speed can be adjusted by the provided knob.
- Overheating light flashes whenever the welder crosses a particular temperature level.
- Crafted using iron alloy for adding to its durability and longevity.
- Creates a lot of smoke and splatter making it ill-suited for indoor use.
2. MIG/ARC Welder Inverter – Röhr MIG-200MI
Röhr has been offering us with some of the most capable and advanced welding machines by combining breakthrough technologies and the MIG 200MI also stands true to this general consensus with its state-of-art features. It offers an easy learning curve making it ideal for being availed by both new and experienced users for vehicle fabrication, house maintenance and other unconventional work where you might feel the requirement for specialist materials.
Premium quality components go into the manufacture of the Röhr welders for guaranteeing optimum reliability to both regular and occasional users. It banks on the latest IGBT technology which increases efficiently by 30% while reducing the power requirement dramatically.
You can expect a stable welding arc out of the Röhr MIG 200MI welder whose level of efficiency gets boosted by IGBT monotubing when compared to normal MOS tubing. Both blending transition and electric short transition is controlled by the electronic reactor circuit which brings down electromagnetic noise while delivering stable wire speed. You can bank on this welder for welding stainless steel, low-carbon steel and a variety of other alloys to perfection.
You can use this Röhr welder for MIG/MAG welding or MMA Arc welding. A lightweight design adds to its degree of portability while delivering neat welds time and again.
- A stepless wire feed system allows focussing all your attention on the weld.
- Overheating of the electrode is prevented by its anti-stick function.
- IGBT transistor limits electrical continuity to buffer against short circuits.
- Operates on a duty cycle of 60%.
- Intuitive design makes it well suited for both DIY and professional users.
- Extremely easy to set up and use.
- Accompanied with a variety of accessories for catering to your welding needs.
- A 2m electric cord helps in positioning the welder conveniently.
- Doesn’t require any specialist power supply and can run directly from the mains.
- Users can regulate the flow of gas by operating the solenoid valve through a button on the torch.
- Instruction manual is not of much help.
3. Display4top Professional Mig 130 Welder
The household smart welder by Display4top can match the welds of expensive MIG machines as they do not overheat. In spite of having compact dimensions, the MIG 130 welder by Display4top can help you undertake a variety of general repairing and home DIY work while guaranteeing a professional finish.
The gasless flux core welder features a durable outer shell crafted using stainless steel. This can keep the inner circuity buffered from wear and tears which might happen in garages and shops.
Users can take their pick amongst the four adjustable welding speed settings of the Display4top Professional Mig 130 Welder by toggling its four buttons. It is also possible to adjust up to ten levels of the cable as per your preference.
The Display4top Professional MIG 130 Welder runs on DC inverter which enhances the level of output. This also adds to its ultra-portable nature which offers flux core capacity. The convenient flux-cored wire also helps in preventing oxidation of welded part by releasing metal-inert gas while welding.
- Offers automatic thermal protection for ensuring a safe welding experience.
- Accompanied with a variety of accessories like a 1.9M welding torch, 0.45kg welding spool, brush and mask, 1.5m earth clamp and a fuse.
- Internal fan cooling system helps in preventing overheating of the device.
- Users can adjust output current amongst 4 levels.
- At 17kg, the machine is not very bulky and can be moved around easily in a trolley.
- Dual air-vents on the machine help with effective heat dissipation.
- Ideal for both general repair and home DIY work.
- Carrying handle helps with its easy portability.
- Rotary knob allows adjusting the wire feeding speed amongst 10 levels.
- Heavy-duty stainless-steel body adds to the level of durability.
- It takes time to get used to the torch which is shipped along with the welder.
4. Sealey MIGHTYMIG150
When it comes to MIG welders, Sealey is the one brand that you can bestow your trust upon. A helpful manual guide, great internal cooling mechanism and excellent style of fabrication makes the Sealey MIGHTYMIG150 one of the best brands for welding.
The compactly designed MIG welder by Sealey comes with a stainless-steel body coated in red paint for adding to its longevity. In spite of being available at a competitive price, you can expect excellent performance out of the same.
The Sealey MIGHTYMIG150 operates on 230 voltage power with the assistance of an excellent wire drive motor. Its Forced Air Cooling system increases the duty cycle by slowing the heating process. This innovative feature makes it significantly better than other DIY metal welders as the machine doesn’t overheat. While the Euro Torch helps with fast connectivity, its heatproof cables ensure that your welding experience is a comfortable one.
The MIGHTYMIG 150 welder by Sealey is accompanied with a 1.8m earth cable, comfort grip non-live torch, 0.45kg flux cored wire, 1m gas hose and 1mm contact tip which can help you get started with the welding work immediately. You can set it up in no-gas mode and switch subsequently to gas by changing the polarity.
- Offers a variety of power settings to choose the one which is right for you.
- Operates at a hassle-free duty cycle of 30%.
- Comes with premium grade thermal overload protection.
- Wire driven motor guarantees excellent results.
- Can be used either with or without gas as per user preference.
- The heating process gets slowed down as the air is directed over the transformer by the Forced Air-Cooling System.
- Euro Torch helps with hassle-free mobility and easy maintenance.
- Contoured handle assists in moving the welder around easily.
- Extremely easy to setup even for novice users.
- Accompanied with a lengthy work cable and clamp to help you get the job done with ease.
- Wire feed might seem a bit inconsistent.
Factors To Take Care Of Before Buying A MIG Welder
- Prior to purchasing a metal inert gas welder, you need to consider its area of usage. This will help you determine the type of features you need to look out for in a MIG welder for guaranteeing its safe and comfortable usage.
- Next you need to decide on the weld type which is best suited for the tasks you have in hand. This will help you in determining the power supply, material and output as per your preference. For example, why trying to weld a thick material, you will require higher level of power and more voltage to retain the functionality.
- The level of safety offered by a MIG welder is another important consideration. Most of the modern-day welders come with thermal protection to keep your back against over-heating issues which might cause unprecedented accidents. MIG welders having UV thermal insurance presents an internal cooling system that prevents overheating even on using the device for substantially lengthy time periods.
- A neat finish can make your work look more professional. Herein lies another factor to consider while buying a MIG welder. You can directly contact the manufacturer or browse through the product catalogue to search for welders which reduce the chances of metals getting burnt.
- You can determine how long the MIG welder can run per time from its duty cycle. Usually, the expensive welding devices have a higher duty cycle and the short ones have lower duty cycle. You need to consider the thickness of metal you are thinking of welding while deciding on the duty cycle as thicker materials demand higher ones.
- The welding machine can be kept functional at all times by undertaking regular maintenance. This will help in spotting any defects for easy restoration to its ideal working condition. Herein lies the importance of choosing a welding device with a low maintenance plan. This can usher in a lot of cost and time savings in your everyday welding work.
- A comprehensive warranty can keep buyers in a safe place. You should make sure that your MIG welder comes with a comprehensive warranty plan and the same remains valid for a considerable time period. Benefits can be enjoyed if the device breaks down anytime within the warranty tenure.
While trying to undertake car restorative work, you need to primarily understand the design of the car body. Usually, thin metal goes into car construction. People often opt for stick and gas welding as they are effective on car bodies. But budget MIG welder can serve as your best bet as it can easily cut through the car body. The entire process becomes very easy-to-handle and can even be re-established using added wire. MIG welding is an environment friendly process as it uses 15% less Co2 than peer processes. So, just take your pick amongst the five best MIG welders listed above and get on with your car restoration work today.